dselect and apt-preferences

Is it just me, or is dselect *completely unusable* when tracking
multiple distributions?

I'm tracking testing, but wish to install some packages from unstable.
My sources.list point to all distributions and my apt preferences set a
priority of 50 for unstable.

dselect then wants to upgrade hundreds of packages (from unstable),
because it doesn't understand the preferences mechanism.

But since it also performs automatic selections, I end up with hundreds
of selected packages I don't really want to install/upgrade, and that
messes up the status file.

I can live happily with dpkg / apt-get / apt-cache, which I've come to
know and respect, but I miss dselect's ability to browse the package
tree for interesting stuff and it's notification of new packages.

Is anybody using dselect under these circumstances (tracking mainly one
distro but keeping channels open for others)? What's the secret,
*please*?

I can't use aptitude because of the "hangs while loading cache" bug,
which seems to have reached the venerable status of a 'feature' :(

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/