How can I track multiple releases with backups?

Morning, all.

I'm having some trouble getting apt to behave the way I want it to, and
wondered if anybody else has gotten this to work.  (I've tried RTFMing, but
unfortunately, the FM isn't quite as complete as one would like.  Once I've
figured this out, I'll be more than happy to submit a patch to the author
of the FM in question.)

So, here's what I want to do:
  - run testing
  - install a few packages from unstable
  - ideally, have the unstable packages automatically upgraded when I do
        dselect update; apt-get upgrade
  - keep backups of at least the last two versions of the various packages
    that I've installed, in case I have to downgrade because something
    broke.

I've tried a number of things with /etc/apt/preferences and apt-move, and
none of them seem to be quite what I want.  Unfortunately, I've tried
several things, over the last few months, and I haven't kept very good
notes, so I'm not really able to go into much detail about what worked and
what didn't.

So, if someone out there has apt working in the manner that I describe
above, would you be willing to share your apt and apt-move configuration
files with me?

Any advice appreciated,

Richard