Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:51:12 -0500
Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:

> The procedure involves knowing what the user wants.  Step 1 of the
> procedure is to determine which device node the mouse is hooked into.
> Step 2 is to determine what protocol the mouse uses.  Step 3 is to
> determine whether or not to run gpm.  It goes like this :
>
>     1)  point gpm at the mouse device (eg /dev/psaux but depends on
>             your hardware)
>     2)  tell gpm the correct protocol to use
>     3)  set it up in "raw" repeat mode (this _should_ be the default,
>             but I don't know if it is)

This is not necessary.  It is but _one_ way to solve the problem.  It is
possible to have gpm and X both natively controlling the mouse so long as
you tell gpm _not_ to repeat.  Perhaps this would be a safer default.

> | The problem is that it's not just that. There are a whole series of
> | things that don't work unless you know the "tricks".  Tricks
> | like:
>
> |   Edit source list by hand
>
> This is only necessary if you don't want "stable".  (eg when
> installing a non-stable branch, which isn't a default anyways)

Not quite true.  The testing branch up until it was frozen would create a
sources.list file with testing references.  For some reason, when testing
was frozen (or just before), it started creating sources.list files that
referenced stable instead.  Thus, introducing a somewhat confusing bug
that no one saw a need to fix.  Granted anyone that followed this list
would have a good idea how to correct it, but there was little to no need
to create the problem in the first place.

--
Jamin W. Collins