Re: Kernel panic. No init found

On Sat, 2002-07-20 at 04:42, Tim wrote:
> >VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> >Freeing unused kernel memory: 204k freed.
> >Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
> >
> >I changed my grub boot line to:
> >
> >kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda1 hdc=ide-scsi apm=on
> >init=/bin/bash
> >
> >This had no effect on the problem.
> >
> >I've tried booting into the original 2.2.20 kernel with the same error.
> >
> >My /etc/fstab hasn't changed:

Not relevant - it doesn't get read till quite a long time later.

This is what the kernel is doing:
        /*
         * We try each of these until one succeeds.
         *
         * The Bourne shell can be used instead of init if we are
         * trying to recover a really broken machine.
         */

        if (execute_command)
                execve(execute_command,argv_init,envp_init);
        execve("/sbin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
        execve("/etc/init",argv_init,envp_init);
        execve("/bin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
        execve("/bin/sh",argv_init,envp_init);
        panic("No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.");

The first line runs a command supplied to the boot prompt; if there is
none, it goes through the list.  Since none of that is working, it
suggests that none of them can be found on your root disk.  This is
obviously inconsistent with this statement:

> >/sbin/init exists and has executable permissions.  /bin/sh
> >exists.  /etc/inittab looks OK.  I don't have /etc/init or /bin/init but
> >don't believe this to be important(?).

If you cannot boot, how do you know these exist?  Please tell us exactly
what steps you are taking to see what is on your hard disk.  (I wonder
if you are really looking at the right device?)

Please show the output of mount.
Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver