Re: Synchronising files on laptop with server?

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 05:03:23PM +0100, Charlie Grosvenor wrote:
>Hi
>	I would like to know if there is any way of keeping files
>synchronised between my server and my laptop, both are running Debian
>woody. I would like to be able to take my laptop away and then when I
>come back plug it into the network then the files would be synchronised
>automatically, like the offline folders in windows 2000 and XP. For the
>other machines on my network I have NFS mounted home directories. Does
>anybody know if it is possible to do file synchronising like this with
>Debian?
>
>Thank you
>
>Charlie

I have not personally tried this out, but the linux kernel has support
for the intermezzo file system.

"InterMezzo is a networked file system with disconnected operation
and kernel level write back caching.  It is most often used for
replicating potentially large trees or keeping laptop/desktop copies
in sync.

If you say Y or M your kernel or module will provide InterMezzo
support.  You will also need a file server daemon, which you can get
from <http://www.inter-mezzo.org/>."

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried this out.

--
Peter Hicks
GnuPG public key: http://jah.net/~petong/public_key.txt