Kernel panic. No init found

Hi folks,

Last night my box broke and am sadly back in the windoze partition. Is there anyone out there that can rescue me?

I think it occurred while a screensaver was active in X. On booting up if get the following message:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 204k freed.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I changed my grub boot line to:

kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.4.18 root=/dev/hda1 hdc=ide-scsi apm=on init=/bin/bash

This had no effect on the problem.

I've tried booting into the original 2.2.20 kernel with the same error.

My /etc/fstab hasn't changed:
(with the rest being the same as before)

/sbin/init exists and has executable permissions. /bin/sh exists. /etc/inittab looks OK. I don't have /etc/init or /bin/init but don't believe this to be important(?).

fdisk -l /dev/hda1 gives some information about blocks, then the following error:

Disk /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid partition table.

When I boot from a CD to a command prompt and mount /dev/hda1, I get the following error:

EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free blocks count for group 19, stored = 28907, counted = 28908
(twice more-one group error and one super block error).

I'm running woody. And I'm new to Linux so any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Tim