Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

<quote who="nate">

> IMO, debian's biggest strengths:

i forgot to mention a few of the other things i like:

- the package archive. it's huge. it has so much stuff
there it would take me ages to try it all out. and the
sources are readily available in their original format.
i can download a source package from packages.debian.org
to a solaris system and compile it. i do this often when
the homepage/distribution site for something i want is
down, or i can't find it, or doesn't have the version
i want. and best of all, everything is on the mirrors.
it does not depend on the original distribution sites
such as freebsd's ports system(some like the way
the ports system works and i respect that, but i
for sure prefer apt-get over ports, that is apt-get
with the HUGE debian archives, my local mirror of
potato and woody(i386 only i think), takes about 25GB)

- stable. debian stable stays stable, that is major
revs are not permitted, you won't see(i hope) an upgrade
from kde2 to kde3 in the middle of a stable release.
some don't like this, but i consider it a major strength,
and uniqueness to debian.

- backported patches. i like how debian backports patches
to the stable tree. that builds on the point above. i only
wish there was backported kernel stuff.