Re: Need Reasons for switching to Debian from Redhat

on Wed, Jul 17, 2002, Larry Smith (doccpu@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I can use some moral support here.
>
> We use Redhat at my job for technical work.  My instincts are to
> switch to Debian (I have both RedHat and Debian at home).  I'm running
> into a bit of resistance.
>
> Are there substantial reasons, in your view for making the switch to
> Debian?
>
> My initial thoughts are "Completely GNU."

Unless your employeer is truly beknighted, this likely isn't a point
that will register.  It's also not true.  Debian is fully free (speech,
with support for some non-free software), but is not strictly GNU, it's
not itself GNU, nor is it fully GPL based.

> Much more supportive (it seems to me ) web page.

Yes.

> Better package management system.

   - apt-get rocks.  Upgrades and SW installs are vastly easier than RH.

   - zero-downtime upgrades.  Minor *and major* system upgrades happen
     _live_.

   - Debian Policy is what makes it that way (which nobody outside
     Debian seems to understand).

   - 10,000 natively-configured packages (in Sid).  Far and away more
     than any other distro.

   - Sane defaults for the distribution.  You get decent stuff.

   - Sane defaults for a given package -- configurations are generally
     safe and security concious.

   - Minimalistic install.  RH installs are easiest when done as
     "kitchen sink" loads -- absolutely everything.  Debian greatly
     favors the "get a minimal base on, then add _just_ what you need".
     You get a more streamlined box, with less cruft, less stuff to
     break, and fewer security problems to worry about.  Not to mention
     a lower bandwidth budget for updates.

   - Documentation.  Man pages are written for Deibian apps which don't
     have them upstream (per policy).  /usr/share/doc is there.  ASCII
     text docs by default (none of this hodgepodge of html and PS that
     can't be read on a console-only system.

   - Adopted by HPQ as their default and reference GNU/Linux distro.

   - Highly standards compliant.

   - It just works®

   - Freedom to install from non-deb sources if necessary.

   - alien -- allows installation from RPMs.

Downsides:

   - Lower visibility than RH.  Strong with the tech set, but less so in
     public view.

   - For given proprietary software, less "supported".  Generally this
     means that the tier-1 tech droid won't have a script to walk you
     through an issue.  In some cases, the software simply won't run.
     My advice in this case:  fit the OS to the app, and if you're
     running Oracle and your support contract says Thou Shalt Run RH 5.2
     and only RH 5.2, then find an RH 5.2 install disk and use it.  Put
     Debian on the boxen that do real work ;-)

   - HW vendor unfamiliarity.  Many VARs equate "GNU/Linux" to "Red
     Hat".  You may get only partial Debian support from yours (though
     there are some great Debian-supporting VARs out there).  My
     experience is that this is not too great an issue as it's far
     easier to get a base install and put what you need on the box than
     it is to strip an RH system.

   - Legacy.  If you've got existing infrastructure (and staff)
     dedicated to another distro, you've got a long, hard, and possibly
     CLM campaign before you.  Sound out the ground before you rock the
     boat too hard.

My suggestion would be to put Debian in places where you can, and
demonstrate its ability to run, update, and handle the load with less
intervention than other solutions.  If this fails to be noticed (and
moderate flogging of the benefits is OK), start looking for a shop with
a clue.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux backups:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html