Strange Crash on booting 2.4.18 Kernel

Hi everyone,

I have a system that for reasons best known to itself doesn't want to boot!

I'm having a strange crash ( I don't think its a panic.... it too long from
the other panics I have seen) when booting my PC. I'm assuming the issue is
with bind9, because named starting is the last thing I see before the
screen is filled with spooling gibberish  (lots of [c<number>] [c<different
number>] parameters with the odd short line (which I've never managed to
read!) breaking it up) and the keyboard and drives lock up. In spite of
everything locking up, the spooling on the screen continues, apparently ad
infinitum.

I have bind9 installed ( 9.2.1-2.woody.1), DHCP3 and NTP (yes, it was going
to be the DNS, time and dhcp server!).
Shared libraries are libc6, taken from woody. I can provide an considerably
more details if that would be useful.

The system where the crash occurs has a P83 Overdrive CPU, a 3c59x network
card, 4 serial/ 2 parallel ports, and a Matrox Millenium II PCI graphics
card.
There does not appear to be any interrupt clashes, except for the normal
serial interrupt sharing.

All of these work fine (apart from duplex on the 3c59x, but that's another
story).

When I place the hard drives, Network Card, and extra serial card in
another computer (a old Compaq Pentium, not an overdrive) it boots fine,
but when I put the drives back on the motherboard with the P83 it starts to
crash again.

However, if I boot to 2.4.18-bf2.4 (from a floppy using rescue
root=/dev/hda1) it seems OK (well, I can login and do stuff anyway!),
although it doesn't find the network card modules, hence all the networking
daemons appear to crash out anyway.

I am willing to work with someone to work out what is going on, but at the
moment my knowledge seems a bit lacking!

I'm not a novice, and can (and have!) fix most things (for example the
kernel didn't work initially so I had to reload glibc6 (I had a missing
ldd, it appeared to vanish when I uninstalled the some old libraries and
software) and then recreated initrd. As I said above the drives now boot
fine on the other PC) but this problem has me a bit stumped.

I currently planning on removing bind etc and then reinstalling them one at
a time to see where things are going wrong. However this is massively time
consuming, and I'd like to avoid this if I can.

If there is an easy way of capturing the information that is being spooled
to the screen it might make my live easier! Any other ideas are also
gratefully accepted.

Another possibility is that I will recompile the packages one by one from
source, and see if that works..... But it's a slow computer... it will take
ages, and I like to avoid that!

Regards

Gavin

PS As an aside, if I press return on booting the kernel, I get a prompt,
but ls doesn't work.... is that normal?  I had problems installing on this
box in the first place using the bf2.4 disks, as busybox for some reason
seemed to not be working right (for example, I could type ls and get a
missing command error, even though the path was fine, but if it typed
/bin/ls it worked fine..... very weird).

Visit the Virgin Atlantic website for all the latest news and great
special offers - http://www.virgin.com/atlantic

This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain privileged and/or
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please
do not disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate or take any action in
reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please reply
and tell us and then delete all copies on your system. Any opinion on
or advice or information contained in this email is not necessarily that
of the owners or officers of this company.

Should you wish to communicate with us by e-mail, we cannot guarantee
the security of any data outside our own computer systems.