Re: how to clean up dpkg ?

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:43:45AM -0400, Moti Levy wrote:
> I'm trying ( in-vain so far ) to install gnome2 ,
> i've had gnome on this computer and run apt-get remove gnome ...
> when i run dpkg -l |grep fnome i get :
> rc  gnome-core     1.4.1-1        Common files for GNOME core apps
> ii  gnome-desktop- 2.0.3-1        Common files for GNOME 2 desktop apps
>
> can somene explain what rc means and what ii means ?

rc: Desired action = remove, current state = configuration files still
present. 'dpkg --purge gnome-core' will remove the configuration files
too.

ii: Desired action = install, current state = installed.

> i've looked through the apt-howto and the dpkg man page but cant find
> any refrence to it .

If you just run 'dpkg -l gnome-core' you'll see a guide at the top of
the output.

> also , lets say i wanted to start from scratch is there a way to delete
> all *gnome* packages ?
> apt-get remove `dpkg -l |grep gnome |awk '{print $2}'` but that does not
> work .

You can add --purge to apt-get's command line to have it remove packages
rather than purging them. Also, use COLUMNS=200 or so to make sure that
package names aren't truncated.

Cheers,