Re: Recommendations for an fully featured IMAP email Client

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 16:02, Expert User wrote:
> Use Mozilla Mail. It has many new features and is now very stable.
> Of all the Xwindows based mail clients I have used I liked mozilla the
> most. The best thing I like about mozilla mail is the quick search
> feature. This comes in very handy when you have 1000+ mails in your
> inbox and want to find one quick. Just enter some keyword in the quick
> search bar and as you type it shortens the list to matching mails. Very
> useful.
> I have tried KMail, Evolution, Sylphyd (spell?). I have heard that KMail
> now supports IMAP well but have not tried KMail in a long time.
> Also mozilla may be very slow if you have an older machine. My
> experience with mozilla is on very fast machines (1.2GHz P3 laptop, 2.4
> & 2.2 GHz P4 desktops), so your mileage may vary.

I've been around the houses with IMAP clients, and basically have had a
go with all of the popular ones.

Here's my quick'n'dirty summary:

Sylpheed-claws : Buggy as all hell, but the debug window is astoundingly
useful. Not fast. Reasonable interface. I only installed it to get the
debug window when I was having some problems with an IMAP server.

Mozilla Mail: Good. Reasonably fast, decent filters, full-featured but
carries the weight of Mozilla's UI with it. Still, with the Classic skin
it's a good MUA for people familiar with Netscape Mail. Nice
LDAP-auto-lookup support, if you're into that sort of thing.

Netscape Mail: Also good, and actually a much better MUA than you'd
expect given the hideous cruftiness of Navigator. Arguably the most
mature graphical mail client on UNIX.

KMail: The version of KMail in KDE3 is vastly improved over the one that
shipped with KDE2. The interface isn't really to my taste, but that's a
personal thing. However, KMail has one very deadly flaw when it comes to
IMAP - rules can't use IMAP folders. This, for me, is a showstopper.

Ximian Evolution: I'm currently very much in love with Evolution. I do
all my mail with this now. Aw heck, here's my eulogy:

http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/XimianEvolution

Yes, it's really THAT good.

Balsa: Probably the most appealing interface I've ever used, but in the
version I used the terrible stability led to an overall very unhappy
experience.

Mail, or Evolution. Less demanding users may find some benefit in KMail
or Sylpheed.

Peter.

--
Peter Whysall