Re: Unidentified subject!

chandra robinson wrote:

Hi,
I was wondering if you could be of assistance to me. I need to remove the Lilo boot from my master boot record, and I have no ideal of how to do this. Do you know? Thanks lynn

Put something else into the boot record. Depends on what you want there; grub, a bunch of zeros, Microsoft's boot loader, etc.

Assuming you want Microsoft's boot loader (which is beyond me, why anyone would want to go back to use MS' tools), you can use an MS-DOS boot disk, circa version 5 or 6, with fdisk.[exe|com] on it, and run "fdisk /mbr".

"install-mbr" is a linux tool that might be of some value to you.

To zero out the mbr, I believe you could use the "dd" command, but I'm not sure of the parameters you'd need to feed to it.

Hopefully this'll point you in the right direction, or spur you to provide a bit more info as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Kent

PS: Using a good subject line, like "How to replace MBR", will generally provide you with more responses. It's a good habit to develop . . . .