Re: Why bother partitioning?

hi ya

you can still do backups even w/o partitioning..

most backups can be done by ( directories )
	tar zcvf /mnt/Backup/backup.tgz /etc /home /var ...

most partition scheme separate  /tmp  from root  ( / )
because /tmp is typically "chmod 1777 /tmp"
and is used by lots o whacky things and is expected to write into it

you want / to be as samll as possible ( 32MB, 64MB )  so that its less
likely to get corrupt and you can always boot into  a useful single
user mode to fix the reset of the 100GB of disks

if / is corrupt ... you're dead ..

system should not be backedup ... its already ony our install cdrom

backup your /home data .. stuff you created..

backup your config in /etc  if you keep it only in /etc vs scattered
about in other dirs

lots of methodologies and reasoning for partition or not and
in what order or not... and how many partitions  and which partition comes
first

	- various partition howtos
	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Installation/partition.gwif.html

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, alex wrote:

> This is an extract from the Debian installation instructions.
>
> "Most people choose to give GNU/Linux more than the minimum number of
> partitions, however. There are two reasons you might want to break up
> the filesystem into a number of smaller partitions. The first is for
> safety. If something happens to corrupt the file system, generally only
> one partition is affected. Thus, you only have to replace (from the
> backups you've been carefully keeping) a portion of your system".
>
> Suppose that you didn't partition as the instructions recommend and had
> just one large / partition with all the usual file
> systems in place.   Couldn't you make backups of critical file systems
> just as if they were on their partitions?   And, couldn't you then
> restore file systems just as described in the instructions?

nah...  you can always fix things... maybe a little harder...but fixable

c ya
alvin