Re: DNS problems, can't ping domain

--- Mike Egglestone <megglestone@heritage.sd57.bc.ca>
wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently just registered a domain name.
> "etalon.net"
> My dns server (sid) is setup and is believed to be
> working OK.
> I have a CNAME pointing to www and mail
>
> I can ping mail.etalon.net and www.etalon.net
> but I can't ping etalon.net
> Is it my dns server that may be the problem? or is
> it something to do with the root dns servers?
> or maybe my ISP?
> Basically, everthing seems to work except
> "etalon.net" doesn't
> resolve to an IP.

OK - your problems are manifest . . .

the .net root servers have delegated etalon.net to

ns.etalon.net at 24.69.90.171

This is only one NS, when it should be at least two .
. .

ok - querying ns.etalon.net for the contents of the
etalon.net zone:

shows A records (address entries) for only 3 hosts in
etalon.net:

ftp
localhost
ns

There are no A records for

www
mail

also, there is no A record for the domain itself,

etalon.net.   A  x.y.z.a

There are CNAME records for

www    CNAME  ns.etalon.net
mail   CNAME  ns.etalon.net

so that explains the lack of A records, BUT your
MX record for etalon.net

etalon.net.    MX 10 mail.etalon.net

is illegal because you can't use a CNAME in an MX
record.

So, get rid of the CNAME entry for mail, add an A
record for mail that uses the same IP address as NS,
and add an A record for the domain and you're all set.

madmac