Re: X freezes!

<chiappa@uerj.br>
> wrote:

> > May be there is a log file I can read?
>
> Check /var/log/XFree86.0.log, also your ~/xsession-errors.
>
> I had/have a similar problem, and I'm convinced it is caused by X's
> graphics driver for my ATI card, and the crashes were caused by GL
> rendering.
>
> I manage to get a stable system by not using GL screensavers and
staying
> away from GL graphics software and games. I *really* hope X 4.2 can
> address this issue...

Same exact issues here - I can usualy ssh in and cleanly kill off the
processes, though.  I'm left with nothing in my logs for clues, but I
came to this conclusion after trying to make it freeze for some time
with diferent apps, and deciding that it was GL related.

Oh, and if you really want X 4.2 -
deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/ sid/$(ARCH)/

Have it running on one computer without a snag, but I'm waiting to
move
over the one that's actually having a problem, because it's a little
too
important to fry just now.

Good luck,
Steve

Hi,

thanks for all the replies. How can I see if a graphical software is a GL one?

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini
DFT-IF/UERJ