Grub troubles.

Hi all,

1. I am in the midst of a controller upgrade trying to install a
Promise Ultra 100 IDE UDMA controller.

2. I don't want to reinstall unless I absolutely have to. I'd
rather just install the card and keep my present setup.

3. I've recompiled my kernel to support the Promise 20267 chip and
it seems to recognize the card and disk when I try to boot.

4. My attempts to boot the disk attached to the Promise card succeed
only partly. The card is recognized, as is the disk, and the hard
disk gets set up as hde with the correct address on IRQ11.

5. Later on the partition table is read  - hde3, hde4 <hde5, hde6,
hde7....etc>

6. In my judgement the hardware side of things seems ok.

7. However, I still cannot boot successfully. I get all sorts of
kernel panics and failures to find the root partition etc. This
seems to be a grub problem.

8. To my way of thinking I ought to be able to a) reconfigue grub,
b) transfer the hard disk connector cable from the motherboard to
the Promise controller, and c) reboot.

9. However, grub will not allow me to grub-install to a non-existant
disk ie hde.
grub-install '(hd4,2)' produces the error message selected disk does
not exist - since the disk is presently connected to the
motherboard.

10. I tried using a grub floppy but the kernel would not mount the
selected partitions. Other attempts led to various kinds of kernel
panic due to not being able to mount the root file system in some
way.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions??

	bill