Error running X11: "mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied"?

[Not sure if this is a Debian question, or an XFree86. Would have
written to debian-x mailing list, but their description said they only
wanted to hear from source code users. Let me know if this could have
been sent someplace better.]

I've set up my first Debian X-Windows system recently. I've been able
to log in as root and execute "startx" without a problem. When I try to
log in as a normal user and run 'startx', I get "mkdtemp: private socket
dir: Permission denied" in ~/.xsession-errors. I can't find any
information on mkdtemp, or on which directory or socket the permission
needs to be changed, and how. Can anyone help me with this problem?

I tried doing a Google search on mkdtemp on site:debian.org and
site:xfree86.org without success.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202