Re: how to switch from DES to md5?

<quote who="Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick">

> Is there an easy way to reinvoke the setup process that normally
> configures this so I can select MD5 passwords?  Or do I have to do  this
> manually.  And if it can only be done manually, does anybody  have a
> pointer to a writeup of what needs to be done, or can provide  a brief
> description?

i do not believe there is a way to convert from crypt to md5
passwords.

converting the system to use md5 passwords *from now on* i believe
can be accomplished using pam, edit the filesi n /etc/pam.d
and find the lines of the files that start with password
and add a  'md5' at the end of the line (without the quotes, e.g.:

password   required     pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

once you at least change the /etc/pam.d/passwd i would reccomend
you run passwd on each of your accounts and re-set the password
so it should be re-encrypted in pam.

of course i reccomend a backup of all files you modify before
attempting this. it should work, but i have not tried it
recently.

nate