Re: keep sendmail logs longer?

At 03:20 PM 7/15/2002 -0400, Kurt Yoder wrote:
Hello list

I'd like to retain my sendmail logs for a longer time on my Debian box. It
looks like they're being rotated by syslog? Or is this incorrect? In any
case, there's no entry in /etc/logrotate.conf or /etc/logrotate.d/ where I
can specify that I'd like to keep the logs longer.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

look in "/etc/logrotate.conf" you will see on line 6 (on woody)

rotate 4

change this to be how many weeks you want to keep. This will catch /var/log/mail.log which is rotated every week, but will NOT catch /var/log/syslog which is rotated every day.

If your sendmail is logging to /var/log/syslog (I don't run sendmail so am not sure where you have it logging to) you will need to modify /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd and fix the "savelog" line.

The -c # argument is the number of days the log file is saved, so just fix this to be the number of days you want to keep.

I do want to say, I don't know how to make these changes last over a syslogd upgrade, so watch for an upgrade to wipe out your changes.

Hope this helps,
Loren

Thanks

--