At peace with Debian

Grant Edwards:

>> See my other posts for the case supporting singular "they".  If
>> Shakespeare on George Bernard Shaw can do it, so can anyone else ;)

> I used to try that argument in English class.
> It didn't work.

`Grim grammarians in their golden gowns' are rigid, & either accept
a rule absolutely or reject it the same way.

Sometimes the argument applies; sometimes it doesn't.  That depends on
context, mainly.  And if you're Shakespeare or GBS you can get
away with more than I can.  (See the latter's spelling of the former's
name.)

If a usage draws attention to itself, the writer should rewrite.

This is as good a place as any to remark on the advice, in an earlier
post, to take refuge in the plural.  Yes, that's one way to solve a
gender-related problem.  However, a plural also tends to lengthen a
sentence & befog it.  Simplify & shorten; begin with the singular -- &
keep it if you can.

Wendell Cochran
West Seattle