dpkg -S and symlinks

Fellas, just where does my inexperience reach a crescendo, and just
where does Debian "owe me something"?:

Noting that the look command lacks the word herbicide, I will be a
good Samaritan and inform somebody, or so i thought:
I do
$ man look
     "If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used..."
$ dpkg -S /usr/share/dict/words
dpkg: /usr/share/dict/words not found.
Oh, I see it is a symlink.  Odd, the dpkg man page doesn't mention -S
doesn't know about symlinks.  Must be a bug, no?

OK, apt-cache search mentions various clues, but I do an dpkg -L
ispell and dont see /usr/share/dict/words there either.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780