User experiences with peempt kernel patch and SMP machines

I have read that adding the preemptive kernel patch makes for a more responsive workstation machine. I wanted to apply this patch to my machine, but I'm curerrently running an SMP kernel on a dual pentium board. Has anyone noticed an improvement using this patch? Does a dual pentium and SMP kernel obviate the need for this patch? Nothing SMP specific turns up ona Google search or Robert Love (the patch maintainer) website.

Nick Lidakis