snowy xfree, bug?

hey im sorry bout the flame, i dont really have an excuse so, ill just
give you my apology :)

anyways i got either a bug or most likely im not configing this right, i
was wondering if someone was wiser than i and perhaps could shed some
light on it, i was using woody a few months back, quite a few i believe,
and i had it configed and working fine under xfree, now however ive
noticed the bootstrap has changed some and the xconfig has changed some as
well, ive tried using my same settings but they dont seem to work, ive got
a geforce 2 32mb ddr a athelon tbird 1.4 with ali chipset,  ddr ram, and a
vision graphic monitor, ive yet to find the actual specs on the monitor,
if someone finds something i would be most grateful :) ive checked google
and harware sites, didnt pick up anything. anyways, the xfree screen seems
to error out or have a bad config, but when it comes back to the console
everthing is snowy, theres like 4 blinking spots which i presume to be the
cursor, it seems it trys to keep the resolution but not use xfree!... i
have to reboot my system every time the config doesnt work, ive run
through it a few times and tried what ithought were resonable
configurations, ive tried using settings that were lesser than my monitor
even to see if that could help. if you got some suggestions i would
greatly appreciate it :)