Re: Woody and libc6-2.1.3?

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:02:25AM +1200, Alastair Bateman wrote:
| I recently downloaded the netinst ISO of Woody and proceeded to
| install it. It downloaded the packages fine, but when it came time
| to install it there were numerous version conflict errors. Most of
| them centered around the likes of locales, libc6, libgtk1.2 and
| related packages.
|
| In the end I think I figured out that the problem was most a few of
| the packages (like gtk1.2 and others which are required to run
| pretty much everything) need libc6-2.1.3 to be installed whereas
| Woody has libc6-2.2.5 in the base system. This is particularly
| annoying as it means not that much can actually be done in X
| Windows, etc.

Actually, GTK+ is only needed for gtk-based apps.  It doesn't affect
Athena, Motif, XForms, Qt, or raw xlibs based X apps.

| I've looked around for a solution and only really found the cause.
| If anyone knows how to resolve this conflict that would be great. Or
| if it one of those things that you can't do anything about then I
| will give up, but I would like to use Woody.

Change "stable" to "woody" in your sources.list.  (the _real_ solution
is to release woody as stable, since the installer thinks it is)

As you can see from my system, both gtk1.2 and glibc 2.2 coexist quite
happily :

$ apt-cache policy libc6 libgtk1.2
libc6:
  Installed: 2.2.5-6
  Candidate: 2.2.5-6
  Version Table:
     2.2.5-7 0
        950 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
 *** 2.2.5-6 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.1.3-20 0
        500 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
libgtk1.2:
  Installed: 1.2.10-11
  Candidate: 1.2.10-11
  Version Table:
     1.2.10-12 0
        950 http://http.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
 *** 1.2.10-11 0
        990 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

-D

--

If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/