Incorrectly identified gamepad, can't find docs.

Whenever I start zsnes, or even jstest, my Interact ProPad Blue is detected
thus:

coffee (steve)$ jstest /dev/js0
Joystick (Analog 4-axis 4-button joystick) has 4 axes and 4 buttons. Driver version is 2.1.0.

However, it is a digital 2-axis 8-button gamepad.  I've looked at the man
pages and searched the web. I don't know how to fix this.  I've tried running
jscal a couple of times to see if I can make the software think that the extra
buttons are opposite ends of the extra axes, but no joy.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions or point me to some docs?  I'd like
to be able to play Yoshi's Island without having to boot Windoze.

Thanks.