Re: apache-ssl and Virtual Hosts

On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 20:32, Gary Turner wrote:

> From http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html
>
> # Name-based virtual hosting cannot be used with SSL secure servers
> because of the nature of the SSL protocol.

This not strictly true. You can use SSL on a server that also does
name-based virtual hosts. You're only allowed one SSL-enabled virtual
host per IP address, but your apache instance can serve as many non-SSL
virtual hosts on that IP address as you want.

I've done this many times with apache and mod_ssl. The basic idea is

  Listen *:80
  Listen *:443
  <VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName nonssl.mydom.ain
  </VirtualHost>
  <VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName other.nonssl.mydom.ain
  </VirutalHost>
  <VirtualHost *:443>
   ServerName secure.mydom.ain
   SSLEngine on
  </VirtualHost>

As to the poster's original problem, he says that he gets an error
message, but since he didn't provide the message, it's hard to know what
went wrong.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA