Re: Mutt Problem Solved (I think)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:24:47PM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
| It appears that as suggested, I need to make a change
| in my exim.conf file (qualify_domain = my_server.com).
|
| Anyway that gave me the ability to send out emails.  I
| hope that's not an inappropriate fix.

It's a good thing to do, but not the whole solution since you don't
have an ISP-like system.  If you want to see what I mean, try sending
a message directly to my address.  You will get a bounce back because
the domain of the envelope sender is invalid.  Although, you won't
actually get the bounce (unless your server connected directly to
mine) because the envelope sender is invalid.

Be sure and put the entry in /etc/email-addresses as I suggested.
(also verify that the rewrite rule in exim.conf has the same value as
$qualify_domain in the first part of it)

Doing this will cause exim to rewrite the address you@my_server.com
(which is an invalid address, except on your own system) to your real
address.  Do this if you ever want to receive bounces when delivery of
one of your messages fails.

| Thanks for all the fine suggestions.

You're welcome.

-D

--

Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/