Re: System.map does not match kernel data ???

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 08:22:47AM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

I had this problem, too.  The manpage
of ps tells:

<snip>
       To produce the WCHAN field, ps  needs  to  read  the  Sys­
       tem.map  file  created  when  the  kernel is compiled. The
       search path is:

       $PS_SYSTEM_MAP
       /boot/System.map-`uname -r`
       /boot/System.map
       /lib/modules/`uname -r`/System.map
       /usr/src/linux/System.map
<snip>

I cannot tell what the WCHAN field is good for, but up to now (I think)
I have not needed it.

Not knowing any important task for System.map, a reasonable workaround
is to take care, that ps finds none.

Uwe

PS: the manpage of ps has some imho funny sections as:
Set the I_WANT_A_BROKEN_PS environment variable  to  force BSD syntax...

--
Uwe Zeisberger

cat /*dev/null; echo 'Hello World!';
cat > /dev/null <<*/
() { } int main() { printf("Hello World!\n");}
/* */