Setting an EXACT Refresh Rate

Can I specify an exact refresh rate on my monitor in X (Xfree4.1 is
what I am using)?  I look at the XFConfig-4 line and I only put in my
monitor's horizontal and vertical Syncs and X determines the rest.
The problem is my monitor 'default' is set at a specific rate but in
reality, it can be used at a much higher one.  I was able to set at
maximum rate in Windows.  I feel that X doesn't use that highest
support refresh rate but the default one instead.

So my question is, can I tell X to override the optimal or default
rates determined from the hor and ver syncs with my own refresh rate
value ?

thanks