Re: Web Page Software

On Thursday 11 July 2002 03:00 pm, jeff wrote:
> Thomas H. George,,, wrote:
> > My daughter is about to contribute $200 to Microsoft for "Front Page".
> > Until now I have had no interest in Web Page creation dont know beans
> > about the subject.  Is there a debian package? Where should I look for a
> > good introduction to the subject?
> >
> > Tom George
>
> dear tom,
>
> rather than 'point' you in a certain direction,
> i'll go with teahing you and your daughter HTML
> 101. ready?
>
> 1) get acquanted with nano...a really easy to use
> text mode editor - apt-get install nano. learn how
> to use nano in an xterm window.
>
> 2) make sure you have a browser handy - you can
> use netscape, mozilla, whatever - apt get install
> netscape
>
> 3) fire up nano - $nano -pw
>
> 4) type (or paste if you know how (see pasting
> with middle mouse button)) the following code:

> <head>
> <title>My First Web Page</title>
> </head>
> <h1>My First Web Page</h1>
> This text is <font color="red">red</font>
>
> 5) hit CTRL+X (or CTRL+O to save but keep working
> on it) and save the document as index.html
>
> 6) fire up the web browser and have it open your
> newly created page....voila!!! make sure you
> remember where you saved it (ex. /home/tom)
>
> congrats...you are a newborn HTML author  :)
>
> learn about tags and their attributes

> anything that appears between <u> and </u> will be
> underlined...
>
> there's a zillion web sites out there that will
> help you get acquainted with HTML.  it's really
> not that hard. don't bother spending the loot for
> a program that 'does it for you'.
>
> now learn something to go with it...something nice
>   like PHP.  :)
>
> good luck!!!
>
> -jeff
>
> p.s. don't bother with those HTML programs like
> frontpage..they are evil, costly, and they do
> things behind your back...like put a whole bunch
> of extra useless code in your pages!!! don't do
> it!!! always learn how to code before you go and
> buy some yucky proggie!

Greetings Jeff:

That is probably the finest reply to the generic HTML question I have seen so
far on Debian-user!  I have archived this post for my own use.  HTML 101 :)

I think I will try Mozilla and Quanta_plus for my local stuff.

73 and tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!