Re: network interface snapshotting program?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 10:09:10PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I find that when I'm in a fluid ad-hoc networking environment (eg; at
> a conference where the network is evolving as the conference
> progresses), configuring my laptop's networking with
> /etc/pcmcia/network.opts or whatever isn't the best way to operate.
> Instead I hurredly get the network set up with ifconfig, iwconfig,
> dhclient, and possibly ipchains, and then, rushed for time, I can't
> afford to go back and look at exactly what I did and encode it into
> the networking file and test that and iterate. Anyway, it might change
> again the next day. So I'm looking for a way to snapshot the current
> state of the network interface and related things (wireless networking
> settings and dns and dhcp being three biggies), and be able to restore
> any previous snapshotted state relatively easily. Ideally it could
> just add states to the /etc/pcmcia/*.config files, and or
> /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> Is there any existing program that might serve?

Nobody seems having good idea :(

This is interesting idea.  Current IPTABLE seems to have similar
interface.  Recover set up before shutdown.  That will be sweet.

Current /etc/pcmcia/network.opt script can be configured based on
runlevel if one edit it.  But less intrusive configuration will be nice.
Also, in that script following is fixed.

    start_fn () {
        log /sbin/ifup $1
    }
    stop_fn () {
        log /sbin/ifdown $1
    }

I used to do dhcp, dns, dhcpd, ipmasq ... initialization here.  This is
not a easy to configure unless all sources are read.

Automatically recording script like iptable is one thing but modular
sys-V init like initialization is another thing I want.  That way,
configurarion is easier (for me.)  At lease I can use ./scriptname start
to do manual initialization and recall it modulary.  Oh, well...
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.