Re: Network Install, No network

> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 11:11, Bill Spears wrote:
>> I'm installing Debian Woody over an old RH 7.2. I get to the point
>> where it's  ready to do the base install. Nothing happens and it times
>> out. I look at  tty3 and see that it couldn't lookup the host. I
>> switch to tty2 and as root  try to ping one of the other computers on
>> the lan. NO Returns.
>>
>> 1. I'm using the same network module as RH, tulip.
>> 2. lsmod shows it there
>> 3. ifconfig shows eth0 is up with the right IP.
>> 4. route shows the right stuff.
>
> It sounds like you have the card configured.  I would check your
> networking settings, and your physical connection:
>
> 1. Have a link light? (sorry, easy stuff first)
> 2. Are you doing DHCP or static IP?
> 3. Check your subnet mask settings
> 4. Check your default gateway
>
> Anybody else have any networking tips to add?

I have had duplex issues at work recently.  Though networking tells me
that the hub is set to 100FD my systems came up at 100HD and I get
networking errors, slowness, and sometimes it just doest't work.  Oncethe system us up most cards work well with mii-tool, but ip your card
isn't mii, or you can't get mii stuff installed you gotta gotta read
the NIC dirver docs to force it to the right setting you need.

  Sven