Re: Connection to Samba from Win2k/SP2

<quote who="Phil Brutsche">
> nate wrote:
>> yeah...scary..id rather do it the other way around with LDAP
>> authentication and have the win32 machines log into a samba PDC
>> with a LDAP backend ...which is what i'm tryin to do(pretty good success
>> sofar ..)
>
> Oooh nifty - which code branch?

both samba and samba-tng are capable of it. i first got it working
with samba back in march because i was scared of samba-tng's "alpha"
state. first part was to learn ldap and how to populate the database,
then setup nss_ldap and pam_ldap on the unix systems(ive gotten
it working on debian, suse, solaris 7, solaris 9), once thats done
then configure samba for ldap support and populate the database.
then i had a script which samba called for changing the password
which would change both the UNIX and the Samba password at the
same time(and it worked too that was amazing first time i tried it),
since the samba and unix passwords are stored in different formats.
i only wish freebsd had support for something like nss_ldap.

if you haven't played with ldap, its a big beast. took me a good
solid week of research and trial and error to get it up and
going. if you know C it may be easier, one of my friends knows
C and said the schema files were laid out like C and he understood
the flow ..unlike me!

i started looking into samba-tng when i realized how useful it
would be to have domain groups, much of my existing file permissions
are group based. though I have had a lot of time to fully test it.
started getting into it again this past weekend with a cvs checkout
of their latest stuff.

i've had ldap authentication in production at my company for email
at least since late march with complete success so i am happy with
openldap2's stability, and deployed a ldap-enabled postfix in mid
may with complete success, several thousand ldap lookups a day,
which makes me more confident that the samba-tng stuff will
work out.

if you(or anyone else) decides to check it out i may be able
to provide some tips to get you goin quicker, sadly theres not
a lot of good docs out there on how to use ldap(i keep meaning
to write one with my experiences ..)

nate