Re: highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

Dan Jacobson wrote:
>>> Indeed it seems dselect is now right out, never
>>> usable again, as it now asks: 17 packages upgraded, 0
>>> newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
>>> Need to get 6310kB of archives. After unpacking
>>> 5915kB will be freed. Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>>

> dpj> If you're using CDs only then you should comment out
> any online dpj> sources in /etc/apt/sources.list. Just
> uncomment them when you do dpj> want to use online
> sources, and of course run 'apt-get update'.
>
> Yes but that immediately throws away the 2MB that is
> still useful for a while afterward.
>
> That way one would recall that he once saw much newer
> information in his package management menus or whatever,
> but now all that has to be thrown away to the bleak view
> of months ago when all he had was the CD set.  Or
> something like that.  I'm not sure, I'm a debian newbie.

You want to run that one by me again? Anything that is on
the cd that has not been updated in the online archives will
be preferred to the same item that is online - I know at
least this was the case with the old Debian-based CorelLinux
and I can't see why Debian proper should be any different -
especially if the cd is entered first in the sources listing
(that might of course *BE* the reason - apt will take from
the first available source the most up-to-date version of
the package you want). You can also see this if you apt-get
a package, then uninstall it and install it again with
apt-get - the second time apt pulls the package from the
archives on your computer (/var/cache/apt) rather than
redownloading it. Nor is Debian (or rather apt) all that
particular about having more recent sources delisted after
you've used them. I often used to uncomment the unstable or
testing line, grab a specific package and its dependencies
(after an update of course), recomment them out and reupdate
the system again (all it does there is 'hit' the sources,
not download them, unless by some weird coincidence you
managed to bracket the exact time the archive was updated).
--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV