Re: Connection to Samba from Win2k/SP2

<quote who="Angus Scott-Fleming">
> I can't seem to do it.  I plan to use Samba boxes as login servers on
> networks currently running NT4 as we phase out the NT boxes so I really
> need  to get this working with full PDC capabilities, but I thought I'd
> start slow,  so I set up a Debian Woody box with the latest Samba using
> dselect.

well, depends what you mean by "Full PDC". The "normal" samba
does not (yet) have FULL PDC, I am currently working off-and-on
with samba-tng +ldap which has more PDC code implemented, such
as domain groups, domain trusts(though not sure if it works),
more tested ldap support. see www.samba-tng.org. now to your
question :)

> The Samba box is running 2.2.3a-6 and can be seen and connected to just
> fine  from a Win98SE box (\\WIN98SE):
>
> ------- Included Stuff Follows -------
> C:\>net view
> Servers available in workgroup FLEMING.
> Server name            Remark
> \\SAMBOX               sambox (Samba 2.2.3a-6 for Debian)
> \\WIN98SE              IBM PC3000GL PII/256mb/3.2gb
> \\TPAD_WIN2K
> The command was completed successfully.
> --------- Included Stuff Ends ---------
>
> However, a Win2k/SP2 box on the same LAN can't see it.

can you "see" it by hitting it manually? e.g. start|run| \\SAMBOX
or put in the IP ..

I assume at this point the win2000 system is not-yet joined to
the samba domain ..

> Here's the smb.conf file from the Samba box (minor word-wrapping may
> occur on the longest lines):
>

>   wins support = yes

have you configured the win2000 system to use the samba server's
ip as a WINS server? this may help.

next thing to try is to check the samba logs, see what they say
when you try to connect.

nate