NFS permission denied / nfsd daemon not running

Hi,
Could anyone help with the following problem, I am trying to get NFS working
between two Debian Woody box's (kernel 2.4.16 compiled by yours truly).
When I try and mount the shared directory  with the command:
'mount -t nfs sentry:/home/wayne /home/nfs/wayne' I get 'unable to mount...
server says permission denied'
I think one problem is on the server called 'sentry', I cannot get the nfsd
daemon to run. If I start it with '/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd' no errors messages
appear yet 'rpcinfo -p' shows no entries for nfsd.  Interestingly as an
experiment I started the 'nfsd' server on the host called 'rocky' fine and both
have the same packages installed, that is the kernel version of nfsd and not
the user space ones.
I had to start 'mountd' manually too but that works fine. I have 'nfs' as a
module and had to 'modprobe nfs' to load it.

Other steps I have taken so far:

both machines in hosts.allow file an entry
   ALL: <IP OF OTHER MACHINE>
in hosts.deny:
   ALL: ALL

on server 'sentry' /etc/exports file
   /home/wayne     Rocky(rw)

on client 'Rocky' created mount point /home/nfs/wayne and chowned to
'wayne.wayne'

both machines have lookups in /etc/hosts for name resolution

I have an entry in my firewall to allow all connections from the local domain
and have tried disabling it too.

Any help greatly appreciated.
TIA

Wayne.