Re: Annoying sound problem in Woody

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 14:34, Sébastien Plante wrote:
> When X is running, the command 'cat /etc/motd > /dev/dsp' hangs: I must
> control-c to stop it.
>
> When X is not running, I get a small 'static' sound.

You have gnome running? Most likely, esd has taken over /dev/dsp. See
whether 'killall esd' changes the situation. If this is the case, you
can solve the problem by:

a) Only using esd compatible software (xmms, for example, can be set to
use esd for output)

b) Not running esd. You can either just uninstall it os tell Gnome not
to use it. The latter is done by unchecking 'Enable Sound Server
Startup' in Settings>Multimedia>Sound.

HTH
--j