Re: mozilla vs ie

<quote who="Marcelo Chiapparini">
> Hello,
>
> I am just curious: why is mozilla 1.0 so slow when compared with M$ IE
> 5.0?

i think it comes down to priorities.

I am thinking you are comparing MS ie on win32 to mozilla on linux.

currently the win32 mozilla gets more attention(probably due to
netscape) then the linux version which means it gets more optimizations
and stuff compared to the unix/linux versions.

beyond that though, I get the feeling that the mozilla team has
a different set of priorities for their browser then MS does.  MS may
concentrate a lot on performance, while mozilla concentrates more on
maintaining portable code and standards compliance. Which, when you
take into account the many different platforms mozilla is available
on, it's a much bigger feat then just doing performance on one platform,
on one CPU arch. even eudoraweb which i use on my PalmOS PDA is
mozilla-based.

there are other "font ends" to mozilla which make some parts of it
faster .. but its a trade off, its too expensive to have the best
of both worlds, that being the fastest browser on every single
platform, as well as most standards compliant, and totally portable
code.

mozilla 1.0 is pretty fast, versions before 0.99 were too slow for
me on my systems (700mhz P3 ranging to 1.3gig athlon). but 0.99 and
1.00 are quite fast.

the windowing system also has some to do with it too, X windows is
not performance king(or even peasant) because the X develoeper team
has different priorities, network transparency, cross platform code,
backwards compadiblity(in some cases), stability(in cases where
the X server doesn't use a kernel driver..).

I ditched IE back shortly after IE4 beta 2 came out, so i don't
have much firsthand experience on recent versions. kind of funny
since thats when everyone else seemed to start to fall in love
with IE. I liked IE from v2.0 -> 4 then went to netscape.

nate
(trying to maintain an unbiased opinion not wanting a flame war)