Re: Laptop mounting nfs

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:57:42PM +0100, Keith O'Connell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > I would like some advice on what is more an inconvenience than a
> > > problem. I have a laptop which is effectively permanently on my desk
> > > and part of a small lan. It has four remote directories mounted via
> > > nfs, including /home. The inconvenience is that on the occasions
> > > it is rebooted, the checking/loading of portmapper is done before
> > > pcmcia driver is loaded and consequently instead of being able to
> > > mount the remote directories via fstab, I have to log in as root run
> > > "mount -av", log out, then login as a user. This can't be an unusual
> > > problem. What's the "correct" way to address this so it loads like a
> > > desktop. Don't assume to much in depth knowledge on my part. send me
> > > off to read if thats the answer!
>
> > Read /usr/share/doc/pcmcia-cs/FAQ.gz:
>
> > Remote filesystems that are mounted through a PCMCIA network
> > connection should be mounted by the /etc/pcmcia/network script
> > Therefore, these filesystems should be listed in
> > the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file.
>
> OK. This is clearly where my solution lies, although I am too dense to see it clearly yet. I read the FAQ refereed to above so I see why putting the nfs mounts in the fstab for a laptop is generally a bad idea. My problem now is how to enter the nfs mount information into network.opts. I have "googled" busily in an attempt to solve this, but cant. As I understand it I have to list the nfs mounts normally in the fstab, but use the "noauto" option, then I list the nfs mount points in the MOUNT variable in network.opts with a space in between. I have done this, rebooted, and they still do not mount.
>
> as an example of what I have done, in /etc/fstab I have;
>
>     frodo:/home		/home		nfs	rw,noauto	0  0
                                                           ^^^^^^
>     frodo:/mnt/store	/mnt/store	nfs	rw,noauto	0  0
                                                   ^^^^^^
Yes good.
> and in the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts I have;
>
>     MOUNTS /home /mnt/store

Maybe

      MOUNTS="/home /mnt/store"
or
      MOUNTS=/home /mnt/store

Try one entry first if it dioes not work.
Can you mount manually?

Cheers :)
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.