Re: Can Gnome and Gnome2 co-exist in Sid?

The libraries can be installed simultaneously, so you'll always be able
to run gnome 1 and gnome 2 apps.

The desktop environments are contradictory, says upstream. It will
probabbly never be possible to have both installed at the same time.

Individual applications are being considered on a case-by-case basis it
appears. In particular, unstable's "sawfish" and "gnome-terminal"
packages are now gnome2 versions. There is currently quite a debate over
whether or not other gnome2 packages will begin to replace gnome1
packages in unstable, particularly as many gnome2 packages are not
backwards compatible, and in many cases have dropped features people may
be familiar with. The discussion is happening on the debian-gnome-gtk
mailing list, which is open for anyone to read and post to. Please check
the archives on lists.debian.org first tho, to make sure your particular
comments haven't been addressed satisfactorilly yet.