Re: dpkg problem

* lakshmi@uomphysics.net (lakshmi@uomphysics.net) [020708 01:23]:
> hi all,
> I would like to have some help settingup my debian system. I had some
> problems confguring the xserver-svga and getting "startx" work. while i was
> trying to do this, i messed around uninstalling xserver and some how i
> am not able to 'apt-get', dpkg , ... work.
> I got the following errors while i tried to "apt-get install -f"
>
> dpkg:'update-rc.d' not found on PATH
> dpkg: 1 expected program(s) not found on PATh.
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
> /sbin
> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code(2).

Are you root? What does your path look like?

# echo $PATH

Is update-rc.d there? It should be at /usr/sbin/update-rc.d . Like dpkg
said, /usr/sbin/ should be in your PATH, and it should find it. If it's
really not there, try reinstalling the sysvinit package.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/