From: Derrick 'dman' Hudson [mailto:dman@dman.ddts.net]
Sent: viernes, 05 de julio de 2002 19:40
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Possible virus?

------

| Subject: Not read: confused about non-us cd's

| "winmail.dat" which sounds very suspicious to me...
|
| Has this happened to anyone else?  I advise everybody who has read
that
| thread ("confused about non-us cd's") to check the log file of their
MTA
| (mine started attempting to send the message yesterday July 3rd)
because
| it doesn't show up on my Sent Mail folder in Outlook (even if the
| message says the mailer is Ms Outlook).

This has never happened to me because I don't use microsquish products
:-).  What that is is called a "read receipt".  It is supposed to be a
feature, but most software doesn't support them.  You can tell because
    1)  the subject has "Read:" or "Not read:" prepended
    2)  the Content-Type: is as shown
    3)  the mailer is Outlook

The "ms-tnef" stuff is some microsoft way of putting arbitrary OLE/COM
objects into a stream.  The "winmail.dat" name is often used by
outlook for "harmless" (but still worthless unless you use microsoft
stuff to read it) stuff such as a business card or the read receipts.

It is also (or at least can be) used by worms to propagate themselves.

My exim setup rejects all such mail with a message to the effect that
it is worthless junk and I don't want to deal with deleting it.

You may be able to turn off that "feature" of outlook.  It thinks it
is trying to be friendly by notifying the sender that you haven't read
his mail.

-D

--

No harm befalls the righteous,
but the wicked have their fill of trouble.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/