From: Matt Price [mailto:matt.price@utoronto.ca]
Sent: viernes, 05 de julio de 2002 18:22
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: another mouse question!!

hi everyone,

um, tried to send this before but not sure if I did (brave new world of
X windows!)

thank you to everyone for all of your help!  the problem sdeems to have
been that the hib driver was not loaded.  so I loaded it manually, and
voila, herre I am in gnome!  thanks esp. to nate and dman, well, and
actually everyone.

so one last (ha!) question:  how do I get kernel modules to load at boot
time?  every source I've consulted has told me something different and I
don't think I've located the right files yet.  once this is set up I'll
be ready to go (wekll, maybe maybe not...).

I love debian. It _kills red hat for speed...

matt

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 01:53, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 06:56:25PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>
> To supplement the correct information nate gave :
>
> | >I am not certain if debian includes these by default.  I use a USB
> | >logitech trackman marble wheel on this laptop I'm usin, and the
> | >configuration (kernel 2.2) for me is:
> | >
> | >CONFIG_USB=y
> | >CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
> | >CONFIG_USB_HID=y
> | >CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
> | >CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
> | >CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
> |
> | sorry,where does this stuff go?
>
> Those are a listing of the options he choose when compiling his
> kernel.  If you're using a pre-packaged kernel, you can see
> (read-only!) what options where chosen by looking at the file
> /boot/config-<version>.
>
> | I'm in kernel 2.4.18 -- don't know how different things will be...
>
> More or less the same.  For my AMD-based system, these are the modules
> I would use if I used a prepackaged kernel :
>     usb-ohci
>     hid
>     mousedev
>
> For the Intel-based laptop at work, these are the modules I would use
> if I used a prepackaged kernel :
>     usb-uhci
>     hid
>     mousedev
>
> (I actually don't use any modules since I compiled that stuff directly
> into my custom kernels)
>
> | >then i have this in /dev:
> | >crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Feb 17 23:13
/dev/usbmouse

> | do I just mkdir /dev/usbmouse, or is there another trick?
>
> No, nate gave the proper command for creating a device node.  If you
> enable devfs, however, you will access that as /dev/input/mice (when
> one or more mice exist, if no mice exist that file won't exist
either).

> | >more info in the kernel documentation under
Documentation/usb/input.txt