From: Michel Loos [mailto:loos@qt1.iq.usp.br]
Sent: viernes, 05 de julio de 2002 14:30
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: lilo/grub to use bootp/remote root doable?

Hi,

I am currently transforming a park of obsolete winxx desktops to
x-terminals. The users want to keep, at least for some time, winxx
on their machines.
I installed a bootp like mechanism on the dhcp server, the kernels are
loaded through tftpd and the root fs is on the X - servers.
All this works fine, but the users complain of having to "boot" through
a floppy (Etherboot).

Burning EPROMs for the NICs that have a socket would be a good solution,
but most computers use on-board NICs.

Current idea: Is it possible, without repartionning the HDs which are
totally occupied by Winxx, to install a lilo or grub etc. in the MBR in
order to use the Etherboot ?

Thanks

Michel.