Sudo was[Re: Emacs from Xterm]

Steven Yap wrote:
On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 14:21, Henrik Enberg wrote:

Bill Spears <bspears@easystreet.com> writes:

So I tried emacs /etc/lilo.conf from an xterm and got error:
emacs couldn't connect to Xserver and some suggestions about
xhost, which didn't work. ... use it
as root sometimes (anybody knowing how to use a user started Emacs

`xhost +localhost' will let you run X apps when su'ed to root.  This is
however a terrible idea security-wise. A much, much better approach is
to do `emacs -nw' so Emacs runs in a terminal window without X.

Consider installing the sudo package and using that to perform
operations as root.  With sudo installed and configured, I can run
X applications and not compromise X security.

All you have to do is add a line like:

YourUserId     ALL=(ALL) ALL

in the /etc/sudoers and you can use sudo to do everything that you
would do as root. /etc/sudoers should be edited using visudo.

Steven

including "sudo passwd root"... I have never understood how sudo isn't the biggest security risk ever invented. It seems like you really need to know what your doing(ie more than I know) to not give your user the wrong permissions. Can someone explain to me the benefits of sudo? Maybe reading this list has made me overly paranoid, but I have started doing everything that requires root on tty3...