Re: another mouse question!!

<quote who="Matt Price">
> hi Nate,
>
> thanks for the help -- got some more questions for you before I go  back
> to work tomorrow and tackle this again:

> sorry,where does this stuff go?  I'm in kernel 2.4.18 -- don't know  how
> different things will be...

i don't know either. i've had little exposure to 2.4 ..my first
guess would be to check /lib/modules/2.4.18/usb or run

find /lib/modules -name "*usb*"

to see if there are usb modules. chances are they are there already
and all you have to do is load them. of course what they are and
stuff may be different from my setup ....

>>then i have this in /dev:
>>crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Feb 17 23:13 /dev/usbmouse
>
> do I just mkdir /dev/usbmouse, or is there another trick?

since your using 2.4 it may be different, I would reccomend checking
this URL out:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/c122.html

to make that device, what i did was:

mknod /dev/usbmouse c 13 63

the numbers at the end are important, they may be different in
2.4. but i would be suprised if they were. you can take a stab
at it by trying 'modprobe mousedev', for me i see a message
like this on my console:

usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 2
mouse0: PS/2 mouse device for input0
input0: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Logitech USB-PS/2 Trackball] on usb1:2.0

it would be even easier if you still have redhat installed you
can see what modules it is using by running 'lsmod' after the
machine is booted.

> hwere do I do this (sorry to ask instead of just find out -- I'm at  home
> and away form linux right now)

no problem. to load the modules I put them in /etc/modules:

hid
input
mousedev

You'll also need to load the driver for your USB controller,
there are 2 main drivers, UHCI and OHCI(at least under 2.2)
UHCI is for Intel/VIA chipsets, OHCI is for most other
chipsets(SIS, etc), modules for these(under 2.2 at least)
is usb-ohci and usb-uhci

hope i didn't confuse you more :) that url above should
help some too

good luck

nate