Re: AC'97 onboard soundcard

Leonardo Custodio wrote:

Dear List,

I've gathered some information for installing my ac'97 onboard sound card.
Besides that, i still have some doubts about the process.
It says for me to do a "modprobe ac97", "modprobe ac97_codec" or "modprobe
i810_audio". After that i should install ALSA and try up. My doubts:
shouldn't i create the device for the audio? (with insmod <module>?). Which
module will/should be used?

"modprobe" does your "insmod" for you. "insmod" tries to insert only the specific module you mention, whereas "modprobe" tries to insert that module and any other module upon which it is dependent.

I believe "AC'97" is a failry generic name. The output of "lspci" might give you more specific info on the audio chipset.

Kent