Re: Home network design recommendations/tips sought (long)

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 08:58:10PM +0200, Balazs Javor wrote:
> - Right now I'm using the exim/fetchmail/procmail/mutt combo for my mail.
>   And I'm quite happy with the result.
>   If I move to the other Linux box as my primary workstation, the question
>   arises where to receive the mail to?
>   I would prefer to keep them on the server and to be able to use them on
>   both machine as it would be on the local machine.
>   I guess this means either IMAP or exporting the mail dir through NFS...

I have i486DX2-50MHz as slow machine.  I use this as main server
(SMTP/POP/SAMBA/NSF/SSH/... and IPMASQ).  I keep this machine 24/7.

All other machine get rebooted for several reasons.  One Linux is main
WS.  I fetchmail external POP account to both SLOW machine and WS with
different intervals.  SLOW machine is few times a day too keep my external
POP manageable.  WS not only fetchmail from external POP but also from
SLOW machine so I eventually get mail one way or another :)

This set up works nicely with my wife's PC on LAN.  Since mail are
cached at local POP server using POP, she has comfortable speed of
access feelings :)

Just my 2 cents.

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.