Re: Glib Question

Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 11:02:16AM -0700, Larry Smith wrote:
> > I run Potato, which installs with glib 1.2.
> >
> > I notice that recently made applications require newer glibs, such as
> > glib 2.x
> >
> > Is it possible to update the glib version on Potato, or must I update
> > my entire operating system?
> >
> > If an update is available in Potato, would doing so screw up utilities
> > that expect the older glib?
> >
> > How does one upgrade a glib, given that some many system functions
> > depend upon it?
>
> At  this stage, woody is deep freeze.  Unless you are running production
> server, woody is stable as hell for console applications such as gcc and
> much newer.
>
> See my below document for details od upgrade or see new installmanual
> for debian woody.  It automatically upgrade to newer glibc.  This ease
> of upgrade is THE best thing on Debian.

You're confusing the original question. Larry was not asking about
glibc, but rather glib, which is a tool library with implementations of
various abstract data types (lists, hashes etc). It is one of the main
dependencies of the GTK toolkit.

Larry - to answer the original question: It is possible to upgrade the
glib version on Potato, but glib2.0 is not available as a binary package
on Potato. It shouldn't be a problem to compile the libglib2.0 sources
from testing or unstable though, and it shouldn't conflict with your
existing libglib1.2 either.

However, if you are upgrading glib as the first step in upgrading your
whole Gnome environment, you'd be much better off just upgrading your
whole system from Potato to Woody. It would be both quicker and easier
in the long run. (okay, *now* you can read Osamu's debian reference :)

Matthew