Printing woes - Lexmark Z53

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting my Lexmark Z53 printer to print certain files,
such as *some* postscript and pdf files (ie, Galeon's ps files don't
work).  I think it is related to my printer filters.  LPrng reports no
errors and correcly spools to the printer.  Here is my setup:

Debian unstable, kernel 2.4.18-xfs, LPrng, magicfilter, latest Lexmark
drivers, ...

#cat /etc/printcap:
lp|lexmarkz53|Lexmark Z53:\
    :cm=Lexmark Z53:\
    :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:sh:mx#0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lexmark:\
    :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh:

z53-outfiles:\
    :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:sh:mx#0:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/z53-outfiles:

$ cat z53.sh
#!/bin/sh

DEBUG=0
PDIR=/usr/local/lexmark/z53

# lxgps is a little utility used to setup the
# Ghostscript parameters.  It sets two parameters
# in particular: resolution and paper size.  It
# determines what to set these to by reading the
# configuration file that is passed in.
GSPARMS=`$PDIR/lxacgsparm z53.conf`

if [ -n "`echo $GSPARMS | grep "\-r300"`" ]; then
    filter=/etc/magicfilter/psonly300-filter
else
    filter=/etc/magicfilter/psonly600-filter
fi

( $filter ) | gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE $GSPARMS -sDEVICE=ppmraw
-sOutputFile=- - -c quit | $PDIR/z53 --config z53.conf --dotcounts

NOTE! My z53.sh script is modified from Lexmark's original.  Neither work
with the files I mentioned earlier.  The magicfilter filters are not
modified.

Thanks!!
-Paul